Sunday, August 26, 2007

Taro In Milwaukee

At last I arrived at Milwaukee. I became a UWM grad student. My new life will start here! It' s a very long trip to Milwaukee. In the plane the seat for the economy-class was so small that I couldn't sleep well. However I recovered from tiredness.

Sorry I couldn't update my blog. I have to prepare for new life in Milwaukee for a while. So I won' t be able to update it again.

Milwaukee, which many Japanese don't know, is a nice city. The houses and building are so cute that Japanese women might like them. And the Lake Michigan is very beautiful when the weather is fine. I walk along the lake. It looks very large and looks like sea. It makes me relax for a while. It is the best place for trip, I think.

Recently the research on trip has been booming in economics. Some economists may think of it as what the economists who are poor at math would study. But I don't think so. It is a prospective research area in economics, I guess.

Anyway I took many pictures in Milwaukee and I will release them here.

I'm busy looking for the stores where I buy stuff necessary for my new life. It is a little difficult for me to buy something in the store. Yesterday I bought clothes and shoes at
Wal-Mart. It is far from my apartment. There I didn't understand how many kinds of coin I had and the prices.

Moreover I couldn't take a bus. So I was lost in the city. Then I was helped to go home by a UWM student that I met in the store. It was a late night. Remembering it, it seems to have been a little dangerous. I couldn't make a phone call, either. I didn't know how to insert coins into the phone. I was also helped to make a call by a UWM student studying in the library. Anyway the first life in Milwaukee looks hard for me.

2 comments:

FrostFire said...

An interesting and exciting story, I think, moreover it makes me feel a little nurvous as well. I am really poor at looking after myself, especially in a new situation in which there may be communication obstacles with people. It is also dangerous in such a situation, as you mentioned, where you couldn't even turn to a telephone! By the way, how about the people you meet there? Is it easy to get along well with them? Have you made any friends there? Where are they from? ^_^ (Forgive my curiosity, my friend...)

Last time you asked me whether I am a blogger. Well, actually I am not. I sometimes write down something in Chinese somewhere on the internet, (that's far from a blog in fact) however, I am not good at writing whatsoever. When it comes to expressing in English, which is the only foreign language I can understand, I am really puzzled. After all, I have a poor vocabulary as well as a bad expressing intuition. (There must be dozens of mistakes in my comments. Forgive me if they are misleading or even lead to some meanings that are not polite enough...)

I hope you can be accustomed to the new situation soon and enjoy a pleasant life!

Looking forward to your stories!

Taro said...

Dear frostfire,

Very sorry for my late reply, friend. And thank you very much for keeping an eye on my blog and posting a kind comment. You have a warm heart, don't you? I think it is important to have a warm heart to other people in an international society. You would be getting along better with different people than me.

You seem to think yourself poor at looking after yourself. But I don't think so. You can look at yourself very carefully. And you can express yourself in English very well. From above two points, you seem to have an ability to control yourself.

This is my weak point, I am poor at expressing myself in front of other people. So I am always wondering what I should say about myself to other people. When I am thinking about what I should say about myself, I am always asked,"are you sure?". It looks like a behavior toward children, doesn't it?

You are wondering what the people here are like. I don't know about them very well, but the people here seem a little conservative, that is, less open to international people. In other words, they don't seem to be used to having a contact with international people like you and me. In California, for example, they may be more open to international people because there are many people from different countries there.

I think it may be easy to get along with the people here if I practice speaking English more. And I made friends with a good guy from Texas in the US. He was born in Naigeria(this spell is right, isn't it?), grown up in Texas and studied at the University of Texas. He is a grad student and going to study architecture at UWM. I think he is smart because UW-Madison(one of the top 30 schools in the US) has no architecture and UW-Milwaukee is known for architecture. In UWM architecture is said to be the no.1 department.

Regarding a blog, I think you would be a good blogger because you can write English very well. You can express yourself in English very well, too. I would be happy if you wrote English blog about you and your life in China, or your idea on natural science, especially chemistry. If you write about chemistry, I hope you will write easily enough for me to understand.

You are a student of Peking University. You are much smarter than me, aren't you? You seem to have a lot of things that I should learn. I am honorable of writing to you. Please keep a contact with me, friend!

Once again thank you for your kind comment. It's cheerful to me.I am looking forward to your comment, too.