Sunday, December 23, 2007

Congratulations on His Majesty the Emperor

Today is the birthday of our emperor in Japan, His Majesty the Emperor. This is a shabby blog, but with all due respect I would like to be allowed to celebrate the birthday of His Majesty the Emperor. I hope that His Majesty will be happily spending the everyday life with us.

His Majesty referred to some problems surrounding us, for example, environmental protection, widening income gap and the pension system in Japan at the press conference on his birthday. Each of them is closely related to our social life and is all that we should solve first. Hearing His Majesty, he is really worrying our present and future life. So, I am moved by his words.

In Japan, there has been some discussions related to the presence of the Emperor system of Japan. I do not want to talk about it here, but it is a fact that many Japanese people (of course, including me) respect His Majesty. That's why the Emperor system has continued to exist up to now. (Please note that we are not forced to respect him.)

I do not feel happy about such discussions because His Majesty sincerely tries to live with us. I would like to be permitted to understand his words and action.

Taro Okamoto

No comments: