Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fujimori For Diet

Fujimori, ex-Peruvian President, is asked to run for Diet.

SAO PAULO (Kyodo) Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori, under house arrest in Chile and facing possible extradition to Peru, has been tapped by a minor Japanese opposition party to run in the upcoming House of Councilors election, party sources said Monday.

Fujimori, 68, has apparently given no clear-cut reply to the offer by Kokumin Shinto (People's New Party), which plans to continue trying to persuade him to run, the sources said.

If Fujimori declares his candidacy, he would be the first former leader of a country other than Japan to run in a Japanese national election.

...Kamei is believed to admire Fujimori's political skills, seen in such accomplishments during his 10-year rule of Peru beginning in 1990 as resolving territorial disputes with Ecuador and rebuilding the Peruvian economy.

...Earlier this month, the Chilean Supreme Court ordered Fujimori held under house arrest on grounds that he may flee. Fujimori, indicted in Peru on more than 20 counts of corruption and human rights violations, was arrested by Chilean police on Nov. 7, 2005.


Fujimori graduated from UWM that I am going to this August to study econ. I'm surprised at this news. But I don't think he will be a good statesman in the Japanese diet. He speaks Japanese, doesn't he? How much does he know about the life and the people in Japan?

Fujimori certainly has a Japanese name, but he is not a Japanese himself. He was not born and raised up in Japan. Japan is different from what visitors from abroad see as Japan.

I strictly hope he will decline the offer to run for the House of Councilors this July.

2 comments:

chongchang.blogspot.com said...

็้้Hi Taro !.
Wow your blog is update everytime . Although my skill english is verry weak but i try use english to talk with you . This fall you will going to UWM .I hope you will succeed in short time and happy with american lifestyle. I would be studying in USA but I not ready . I have question for you. Why did you interested economics ?

Taro said...

Hi Chana!

Thank you for your everyday comment. You also update your comment, don't you? Many people all over the world don't believe that most of the Japanese use English very well. You try to use English and talk with me, thank you.

The reason to start my blog is to improve my English writing. About one year ago I had to take an English test(TOEFL) to apply to the US grad schools. I wondered how to improve my English writing skill. Then I thought up a good idea: to use a blog.

A blog, as you know, is now being used by many English speakers in the world. I thought that the blogger would make me brush up my English writing.

I believe I can improve my English writing by talking to you. Because you also use English to talk to me. Speaking and writing to native English speakers doesn't always make us improve our English. To be important, speaking and writing to somebody we want to talk to in English will make us do so. This is not my idea but my teacher's idea. He told me that my passion would make me a good English user. He had been an economist of OECD and used English very much.(In fact I had my recommendation letters written by him to the US grad schools.)

To change the topic, one econ professor started studying econ because he wondered why we could live in the modern developed economy where more goods haven't been already produced than ever had.

The reason I am interested in Economics is Mankiw. He wrote an excellent undergrad macro text and it was very interesting to me. Unfortunately most of undergard macro might not be taught in most of grad schools, but his undergrad macro enabled me to approach the modern macro.

Economics makes me change my view on our society, think about the capitalist society more logically and scientifically, and broaden my insight.

When we think about our society, passionate ideas usually dominate our discussion. Economics gives us many tools to make our idea clear and helps us calm down. A great British economist, Alfred Marshall, says, "cool head, warm heart". That's why I want to study economics.

Please give me your comment again, Chana! I'm waiting for your response.