Sunday, June 17, 2007

John Kenneth Galbraith

He is the most well-known economist among general people all over the world: John Kenneth Galbraith is one of the American economists who made me like studying economics. Of course, today's economics can't be learned just by him. My economics is also today's one that most econ students study.

I used to read his books. More than one year has passed since his death. I've not read his book through in English yet, but I'll try it someday.

As an undergrad student, I read his pieces in an English class but couldn't understand his English. Then I had read it in Japanese and the Japanese was very difficult for me to read. I remember that it took many hours to read even one page of it. At that time I was told to read it to be a good econ learner, so I read it.

At first I thought the translator was poor at putting him into Japanese, but I found it wrong. His English is also difficult! It is not straight and clear. When I tried the Mankiw's econ text in English, I wondered how easy the English was.

However, now I think his books should be read by more (econ) students. Because it seems that his books make us patient with much rhetoric English. I want to read his English faster and write English here like him. If I expressed my ideas here like him, more people would think me meaningful and respect me.

Unfortunately I have to do much more math for the grad study in the US, so I will have no time to read him.

4 comments:

chongchang.blogspot.com said...

hello, Taro .My names's Chana (thai) = Victory (english) I also studying Economics (Development and planning) Graduate Student in thailand . nice to meet you

Taro said...

Dear Chana,

Oh, thank you very much for visiting my Taro's blog! Welcome!! Nice to meet you, too.

And thank you for letting me know your name. Good name, Chana! It means victory. What is it the victory over? Yourself?

I'm happy you are studying economics, too. Please tell me about your grad school and your life if you like.

I'm going to study grad econ at the US school, so I'm leaving Japan this summer. You are learning about development and planning. Dr.Galbraith was also interested in it. I think it is one of the most important subjects in economics. I hope you'll succeed in it. Do you want to be an economist and related staff at UN?

By the way, you seem to be familiar with economic growth. It is the subject related to development and very important, too. If you know the details, I would like you to tell me about it.

Again thank you for saying hello to me. I'm waiting for your reply.

Best,

Taro

chongchang.blogspot.com said...

KONBANWA Taro,
Oh !! greath your english skill is verry goods . This Taro's blog explain about Economics verry nice ! I like it .Everyday i will read your blog to improve economics skill. Where are you studying in USA ?

Taro said...

Dear Chana,

KOMBANWA, Chana! Thank you for your Japanese greeting. Do you study Japanese? And thank you for your kind words for my blog, Chana! Do you like it, don't you?

I think improving economics skill needs doing as much math as possible. One of my favorite economists, Greg Mankiw, says about econ math:

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/05/which-math-courses.html

This may be very helpful for your econ study.

One of my blog's purposes is to discuss social issues briefly by using some of economics terms. Of course, my every comment is very short but rough. If I analyzed social issues by using economics, as you know, I should have more careful technical treatments for my sight.

Well, this fall I am going to UWM(University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee) in the US. UWM is a research university. However,
UWM is less famous than UW-Madison, which is one of top schools in the US. And its econ ranking is relatively low, but its program seems to fit my interest. Also it seems to have relatively small and intensive classes, which I like best.

So I decide to go to UWM. I haven't known UWM yet, but if it is a good place for econ study, I will talk to you about it.

And if you want to study econ harder, it would be much better for you to go to the US, I think.
Since I think I would be happy with econ study in the US, I planned and decided to go there.

Please keep an eye on my Taro's blog and give me your frank comment!