Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Girl From France

Mr.Kudamatsu, a LSE PhD econ student and the host of the Econ Study Abroad (in Japanese), advised me to study how to express my own country in English by reading what visitors from abroad write about my country. From his experience in England, it is very important to express one's own country in English since one will have many conversations with English speakers if one studies at the US or England grad school. It is an unexpected comment to me, but the best I can do now.

Today's excerpt is introduced by Mr. Kudamatsu. The story is about a life in the Kansai Area, where I was born and raised up.

'I'm always out and about'
By Muriel Roche
Published: April 28 2007 03:00 Last updated: April 28 2007 03:00


Muriel Roche, 41, was born in southern France near the Mediterranean port of Toulon. She carries out genetic diagnostic tests for a laboratory in Kobe, Japan.

I arrived in Kobe in 2005. My apartment is in the upper part of town, a 15-minute walk from the clinic. I'm on the 9th and top floor with lovely views of the sea and the mountains. I have a bedroom and a dining room with an open-plan kitchen. I'm lucky enough to have a Japanese room with tatami on the floor and cupboards that store the futons. It's a room for receiving visitors, with a small low table for meals. I don't use it much because for me sitting cross-legged for a long time isn't much fun.

Work is in English. My boss is bilingual. I don't give orders but things have to happen quickly. I don't have time to think and it comes out easier in English. I've been learning Japanese, laboriously, for a year. I started with an intensive group course. There were lots of Chinese - who already have an advantage with the writing, which they can understand, and the sounds, which aren't that dissimilar. There were only three Europeans. "So there'll be at least two gaijin [foreigners] with me," I thought. Not at all! They were both married to Japanese women. I was nowhere near their level and didn't manage to keep up. I quickly switched to private lessons - one hour a week, so progress is much slower.

....I love museums; we had an exhibition on the Silk Road that was phenomenal. I'm in the Kansai area, one of the best places for gardens and temples. Kyoto isn't far, half an hour on the shinkansen [high-speed train]. When I'm not working, I'm always out and about.

And the sumo wrestling! The next basho - tournament - is in Osaka. I've got my tickets to go for two days. It takes place over 15 days but I can't go daily because I'm working. I love the ceremonial aspect. I like the strength. Everybody thinks it's just fat but there are lots of muscles underneath - and a suppleness to allow competitors to sidestep their opponent's attacks. I like the bouts, the holds. It's quite spectacular. There are six tournaments a year - three in Tokyo, one in Osaka, one on the island of Kyushu and one at Nagoya.

....I don't like all Japanese cuisine. I have a problem with the seaweed. There's a lot of it and the taste, well, we're just not used to it. Then there are unbearable things like natto. That's something that, frankly, would make me leave the room. I think it's fermented soya beans - with an absolutely pestilential smell. It's a product of decomposition. I was made to try it once. I had no idea what it was. They're convinced that it's good for the intestines. That may well be but I'd treat myself differently.

...Recently we visited a restaurant and started with the fugu sashimi, then the rest of the fish was prepared as nabe, a kind of pot au feu. We ate the whole fish. It was to die for. You often sit in small side rooms, which is rather intimate and adorable.

Japan is an amazing place to some visitors from abroad. Those who don't have an interest in Asian countries may think of Japan as part of China. China is very different from Japan. Needless to say, both countries are worth visiting. If you have much time and money, you would enjoy the stay though there might be few English speakers and you might have some hard time in getting in touch with the local people.

No comments: