Thursday, February 07, 2008

Silver Snow

Today we have a big snow. So the classes we were going to attend were all cancelled.

Looking at the window in my room, I could see white snow frozen on it. Japanese people typically compare today's scenery of snow to "silver" world of snow.

One of the things that I've found since I came here is that a culture is a smell, sound and color. Smell, sound and color are very different from in Japan.

(1)Smell
The people I meet here are a little smelly than those I met in Japan. One research says that the reason is that western people generally eat more meat than eastern people like me. It shows one of the differences of culture from me. The other says that America has a culture of deodorant. That's interesting to me.

(2)Sound
The words I speak may be a little difficult for some American people to hear. For example, actually the word, "Ramen" I speak is very different from that native Americans speak. Even my name, Taro, native Americans call is heard somewhat differently by me. The words we Japanese speak must be heard differently in America than those native Americans speak.

(3)Color
Just as I told before, we express "white snow" as "silver snow". I don't know why we express it like that, though.

2 comments:

Aini said...

when i worked with my JP boss, it was a little difficult for me understanding his accent :)

Taro said...

Dear Aini,

JP means "Japanese"? Yeah, I know,
Japanese English is really bad...