Friday, October 05, 2007

Coursework Has Kicked Off

My coursework has kicked off. In my graduate school the coursework is in two part: microeconomics(Econ 801) and macroeconomics(Econ 802).

Needless to say, we have to complete it to write the dissertation for PhD in economics. And I have to do and review homework every week for the coming midterm exam. To be honest, I DO NOT like any exam. So I'm very nervous. (Somebody may say, " You must not update your blog and must go to the library right now". OK, you bet!!)

The content of the coursework that I take is as follows;

Microeconomics(Econ 801);
(1) Consumer Demand
(2) Choice under Uncertainty
(3) Intertemporal Choice
(4) Market Equilibrium
(5) Information, and so on.

Main Textbook; Varian(1992), "Microeconomic Theory, 3th edition"

Macroeconomics(Econ 802);
(1) Solow-Swan Growth Model

(Neoclassical Growth Model)
(2) Ramsey-Cass-Koopmans Optimal Growth Model
(Neoclassical Optimal Growth Model)
(3) Overlapping Generations Model (Diamond-Samuelson Model, or OLG)
(4) Real Business Cycle Theory (RBC),
(5) Consumption and Investment
and so on.

Main Textbook; David Romer(2006),"Advanced Macroeconomics, 3th edition" and Blanchard & Fischer(1989), "Lectures on macroeconomics"

Mathematical Economics(Econ 706);
(1) Differential Equation
(2) Difference Equation
(3) Static Optimization

Main Textbook; Takayama(1985), "Mathematical Economics"

To tell the truth, the microeconomics that I take here is not different from that in Osaka university, which I attended 4 years ago. And the macroeconomics looks a little easier than in Osaka University. Osaka University required us beforehand to master the Optimal Control, Maximum Principles and Dynamic Programming, which we need to analyze the economy with time going by. (Later I will talk to you about what I think about the Optimal Control in economics and what we can see through such a math technique. By the way, I want to know how to write the math equations in this blog. Can't I do that? If I can, please let me know if you know the way to write math.) In this point, this school requires us to have no knowledge of Optimal Control. I think it is very kind.

By the way, some grad students say that the coursework is not always necessary for economists to write thesis. Is that right? I don't think so, but, they say that they do not use the stuff that they have learned at coursework when they write the thesis on economics. I heard about it from one grad econ student from Columbia Uviversity, NY. Hummm, anyway it is sufficient for economists to complete the coursework at econ-grad school, even though it may be not necessary for economists to do, I believe. The coursework would make us think of the economy like economists, but would not necessarily give us a good chance to write a good thesis. However, at present I have no idea about this issue and I do not want to talk about it anymore.

OK, it's the time I had to go back to the library. My old teacher whom I respect told me to be a furniture in the library to complete the coursework. And I am going to be. See you then.

No comments: