Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Peculiar Man at Night

One night I met a man on my way home. It was late at night since I had homework to do. I was staying at the library all day long. To be honest, I don’t like waiting for the bus to come for a long time, so I make it a rule to wait for five minutes, and if the bus doesn’t come, I walk home even though it may be a dark and late night. That night, the bus didn’t come, so I decided to walk home from school. It was a dark and quiet, but not a bad night, and I liked such an atmosphere in the street.

Just then, a man happened to come along to me. He had a cell phone and spoke to me, “Sorry, very sorry.” He continued, “I bought a house and have a monetary problem.” After then he continued to say something, but I couldn’t hear him. I am not familiar with the culture here, and then I thought that was something we have in common. And I asked him briefly, “I too am from a different culture.” He said, “I understand!!” And I asked, “You want money?” He replied, “Please, please help me!!” And I asked again, “what will you do for me?” He replied again, looking somewhat serious, “I appreciate you.” Hearing this response, I wondered if he was stupid.

Seemingly, he didn’t look poor. He wore a nice leather jacket, and he had cell phone. In contrast, I have no mobile phone and no laptop computer. Evidently I looked poorer than him. And I talked to him, “Three weeks later, I have to go back to my own country." Then I didn’t say about my country because my country(as you know, Japan) smells “money”(?). "Why? Because I have no money.” He became silent. And I was frightened at his silence. I was wondering if I would be beaten by him. I began to be worried about my safe.

Fortunately, he didn’t attack me, and he left me after that moment. He was gone in the dark. I didn’t know what had been happening. Anyway since then I’ve changed my mind about taking the bus late at night. However, I wish I had met a beauty, not such a peculiar guy that night.


(The above article has been checked by a native English speaker.)

No comments: