Sunday, May 20, 2007

How To Make More Profit

09/10/2010 revised

I recognized an accurate way of calculating a profit rate, which salespersons need to know in their business.

What is a profit? We should go back to Econ10:

(1) (Profit) = (Revenue) - (Cost)

=(Selling Price)×(Goods) - (Cost Per Good)×(Goods)

= {(Selling Price) - (Cost Per Good)}×(Goods)

And what is a profit rate?

(2)
(Profit rate) = {(Selling Price) - (Cost)}/(Selling Price)

The above math is easy to tackle. However, a calculation related to a decimal should be necessary to take a good care for; a cup of tea sells for $10 in your cafeteria (You don't have to say it is too expensive, but it's just an example to make myself understood easily!) and its cost is $5.

What is the fraction that they can take? What do you think is the profit rate?

(Profit rate) = (10-5)/10=0.5

This tells that
just a half of the selling price is what they can take.

Consider this case: I would like to add a 50% profit to the cost of a cup of tea and find the selling price. We can get it by increasing the cost by 50%. It's easy to calculate:

(Selling Price) = (Cost)×(1+Profit Rate)

In this way I get 7.5: (Selling Price)=5×(1+0.5)=7.5

It is less than the above selling price, $10. Why? If we want to find the reason, we must solve the selling price from (1):

(3)
(Selling Price) = (Cost)/{1-(Profit Rate)}

Now I get $10 by selling a cup of tea. This is one of the frequent miscalculations. To sum up, if you want to get 50% profit, do not multiply the cost by the gross profit rate, (1+Profit Rate), but divide it by (1-Profit Rate). Otherwise you will lose a big money in your business.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes. You can also do some math to find the result.
P.R=(P-C)/P
P.R=1-C/P
P.R-1=-C/P
1-P.R=C/P
P=C/(1-P.R)
Where P.R is the profit rate, C the cost and P the selling price.

Taro said...

Juan-san,

Thank you for your nice reference. When I found it, I was really moved!

I was a businessperson before I came here. As a businessperson, I didn't find this math(and so I lost a big money). I was showing wrong selling price of my products to my customers, ouch!

Now I know this calculus and I never make such a mistake.Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Anyone experience anything about the easy google profit kit? I discovered a lot of advertisements around it. I also found a site that is supposedly a review of the program, but the whole thing seems kind of sketchy to me. However, the cost is low so I’m going to go ahead and try it out, unless any of you have experience with this system first hand?


www.onlineuniversalwork.com